08-09-13, 12:03 pm
i. getting started
1. locate the maps app on your iphone.
2. you will be presented with a map, and at the top is an option to search for a type of place, an address or find an address from your contacts by pressing the button that looks like an open book.
3. on the bottom left is a small arrow that will find your location automatically when pressed.
1. one of the most commonly used functions of google maps is navigation, which is very easy to do on the iphone, by pressing the directions button on the bottom of the screen.
2. you can do a basic search using two addresses or search for a place.
3. you can find directions for cars, public transportation and walking. furthermore, you can get reverse directions.
4. when you have your addresses entered simply hit the route button in the upper right hand corner and you will be presented with suggested directions.
5. now press the start button and your directions will begin.
6. there are two buttons on the top right, a left and right arrow, which allow you to skip through the directions if you need to find a specific step.
iii. other uses for maps
1. you can search using any keywords such as bicycles, movies and even cats if you feel so inclined.
2. when you find what you’re looking for a map tag will pop up with a small arrow, when pressed a page pops up with different helpful options. here you can see a phone number, address, get directions, add to contacts, share the location and add the place as a bookmark.
3. on the bottom right of the main map page you will see a little icon that looks like a piece of folded paper. from here you can see options such as traffic, pinning a location and various ways of viewing the area such as satellite or a list of locations that match the keyword you searched. you can also print directions from here.
this is part of our iphone and ios basics/tips and tricks series. great for anyone new to the iphone or ios, or anyone just looking to learn a few tips and tricks! for all our iphone and ios basics, head here